A small HO scale layout to switching and photography.
Now, I'm building a new project; this new PRR layout is based on Redstone Branch regional freight line, but also used by few passengers trains that connected Brownsville through Redstone Junction to Uniontown (Fassett County) on a route of about 15 miles. Redstone Junction was allocated on the crossing route from Greensburg and Fairchanche (southwest of Pennsylvania).
The Redstone Branch is part of Monongahela Branch & Branches, subdivision 14 and 15 of Pittsburgh Division (Pennsylvania Railroad Central Region). This new HO scale project is set between 1948-1957, the last ten years until complete dieselization of PRR.
My choice of which part to play relating to enormous railway network used by the PRR during the period of its greatest expansion (1910-1960), was made following some specific needs:
- the small space available
- the restricted budget at disposal
- the railroad equipment and the structures which I have already prepared
- the simplicity of the gone reality that I had to reproduce (this choice is directly derived from the first two variables).
The my new HO scale layout is set during a late summer in 1954 (primary) but even during a large period after the second world war. Using a motive power roster formed essentially by steam locomotives and vintage cab-diesel engines (with some "first era" switchers as NW2 and S2), I would like to show the real single track main line (the section between Vance Mill Junction and Redstone Junction) with a freight railyard (storage siding from the rural town of Walker) and many trackside facilities and structures. In this area there were some coal mining companies, as for example the Bute Run Coal & Coke Company present in Walker with a little mine and depot. Near Walker there was even a various little scrap yards maintened by PRR.
The Redstone Branch route (miles from Pittsburgh):
54.4 - Brownsville /West Brownsville yard
54.7 - Linn
55.4 - Braznell
56.7 - Grindstone (Grindstone Branch)
58.5 - Tippecanoe
60.5 - Smock
62.0 - Rothruck
62.8 - Waltersburg
64.2 - Helen
64.4 - Upper Middletown
65.9 - Vance Mill Junction (Vance Mill Branch and intersection with Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and Monon Railroad)
67.3 - Thaw
68.7 - Walker (freight yard)
69.3 - Redstone Junction
The new layout is under construction. 90% scenery completed.
Total images available now (tracks, structures, scenery and equipment): 32. Click here to jump at the last page (latest shot added).
The layout at glance
|PRR Redstone Branch|
|Minimun radius||22'' shortline and sidings|
|Minimun turnout||no.6 (main) no.4 (sidings)|
|Track||code 83 ATLAS|
|DCC Control||Digitrax Super Empire 5 Amp. set|
From January 2013 I work about a new HO scale project, based on a modular system of dioramas. Set during the "Eighties" decade (1979-1989), this modular system is intended for the model trains fairs and reproduced a small part of the Conrail's Pittsburgh line, in proximity of the Gallitzin tunnel zone. I reproduced the double mainline and some sidings, with structure and facilities typical of the suburban area.
Total pictures showed: COMING SOON!
Between 2010-2012 I have created a series of dioramas for a modular layout in HO scale, denominated "HILLBROOK YARD". Was a freelance Pennsylvania Railroad system setting when the second World War was over. The frame time is between 1946 to 1957, at the end of american railroading's "golden age" when PRR removed from its services the steam locomotives.
This project was started in late 2010 and show a little rural community with a small town, a freight yard and an engine facilities.
All locomotives and rolling stock are powered by DCC system with sounds, through "code 83" tracks manufactured by ROCO (Rocoline series, weathered and improved).
See the section about my model trains for further informations.
Some parts of this project were sold and the rest has been scrapped.
Total pictures showed (views, details and big scenes): 80.
From time to time, using the remains of the available material, I build HO scale dioramas dedicated to the Pennsylvania Railroad. I reproduce some small areas of the huge PRR's network, always set at the time of steam locomotives and the initial diesel era.
Part of these works are on sale (visit the dedicated FOR SALE page).
Projects available: 3.
Total pictures showed: 4.
See here below the MODELING LIST of materials, items and articles used in these projects.
TRACKS, LAYOUT DETAILS AND ACCESSORIES
ATLAS CODE 83 (tracks)
- TICHY TRAIN GROUP (railyard details)
- JL INNOVATION DESIGN (railyard details and accessories)
- TOMAR (signals)
- DURANGO PRESS (track details)
- DETAILS WEST (track details)
- WALTHERS/SHINOHARA (tracks)
SCENERY AND STRUCTURES
- WALTHERS CORNERSTONE SERIES (building and accessories)
- BRANCHLINE (buildings)
- AMERICAN MODEL BUILDERS (Structures and accessories)
- AM MODELS (buildings and accessories)
- B.T.S. (structures and details)
- GC LASER (buildings)
- FUNARO CAMERLENGO (buildings)
- SEQUOIA SCALE (details)
- MICRO ENGINEERING (details)
- JL INNOVATION DESIGN (railyard details and accessories)
- MODELTECH STUDIO (details)
- KATO USA (figures)
- PRESISER (figures)
- LABELLE INDUSTRIES (figures)
- WOODLAND SCENICS (scenery, figures, vehicles and details)
- BLMA MODELS (details)
- BUILDERS IN SCALE (structures)
- JTT SCENERY (scenery)
- BAR MILLS (structures and details)
- WHEEL WORKS (vehicles)
MICRO ENGINEERING (bridges and accessories)
BLAIR LINE (structures and details)
POWER AND ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES
- BACHMANN DCC DYNAMYS E/Z WIRELESS (digital power supply)
- FLEISCHMANN (electrical supplies)
- VIESSMANN (electrical supplies)
LOCOMOTIVES AND ROLLING STOCK
- BACHMANN SILVER SERIES (freight cars)
- RED CABOOSE (freigth cars)
- ATHEARN (freight cars)
- ROUNDHOUSE TRAINS (freight cars)
- INTERMOUNTAIN (freight cars)
- ATLAS (freight cars)
- ATLAS BRANCHLINE (freight cars)
- KADEE (freight cars and parts)
- TANGENT SCALE MODELS (freight cars)
- MANTUA MODELS (freight cars)
- WALTHERS (freight and passenger cars)
- MTH HO TRAINS (locomotives and freight cars)
- ATLAS MASTER SERIES (locomotives)
- ATHEARN GENESIS (locomotives)
- WALTHERS PROTO (locomotives)
- WALTHERS (rolling stock)
- FUNARO CAMERLENGO (rolling stock kits)
- BOWSER (cabooses)
- BOWSER EXECUTIVE LINE (locomotives)
- BROADWAY LIMITED IMPORTS (locomotives and freight cars)
- FOX VALLEY MODELS (freight cars)
- DETAIL WEST (parts)
- CAL SCALE (loco and rolling stock parts)
- ACCURAIL (freight cars)
! - All pictures (photos and videoclips) showed in this website are copyright protected and may not be used in any way without proper permission.